Sunday, April 22, 2012

It's been a while, I'm still here

I think this is going to be a short post - I've got a ton to do (despite already having had a pretty productive morning!)

The boys continue to thrive. Both of them sat up for the first time! They're getting bigger and growing stronger. It's now getting a bit dicey to pick them both up. In the early days, that was because "they're so tiny and delicate"; now it's more "because Daddy doesn't want to throw his back out." The boys have a combined weight of around 32 lbs. Perspective: Consider carrying two fairly fragile and completely irreplaceable bowling balls around the house. No mean feat! The boys are eating solid foods (along with their formula) almost every day now. They really like avocados and prunes. The former is neat; the latter, well...most of it ends up all over them. The boys' hand-eye coordination is starting to emerge. It's a weird thing to think about: having to learn that your limbs are doing stuff,  and you're seeing it, and the two are connected, and how to connect the two. It makes you think about your own interactions with the world. A friend mentioned a similar experience watching her daughter pick stuff up and drop it, and actually, slowly, figure out gravity. Now I understand what she meant.

Personally, things are coming along nicely. The biggest news is that the boys are sleeping lots now - up to 12h a night plus a couple of naps during the day. That frees us up in ways that we had not even begun to consider. I'm using the free time to attack the wreck that is our house AND the wreck that is my body. The former - well, I've never been great with organization and tidiness, and when it's "empty the dishwasher" or "stop the screaming in the next room", that really isn't a decision. So now that the boys are sleeping more, there are patches of counter and floor space appearing amidst the clutter like blue sky after a storm. So hooray for that! On the other front, well... if when I lose about 18 lbs and add about 6 more hours of workouts a week, I'll be close to where I was when I started training for Ironman Rhode Island, back in 2010. That's the tough news - I've got a long road back to "fit". The good news is that I was there once and I can get there again. And now I'm coming into it with the knowledge of how much training my body can handle, and what my body is capable of doing. Oh, and I bought a jogging stroller! Very excited about this!

OK, enough with this. I have to take a shower, get dressed, buy formula, feed boys, then we're going to go out on family errands, come home, I think I'll go for a run, have another shower, have supper, feed boys again, put boys to bed, and...then go to sleep myself again, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment