Saturday, June 16, 2012

My first Father's day

Feeling very contemplative tonight. This past month has brought a lot of turmoil. A lot of things got turned upside down and figuratively (and occasionally literally) spilled all over the place. I'm realizing the futility of ignoring things that aren't the way I want them to be, or aren't the way they should be. If your shoe has a hole in it, you fix the hole or you throw the shoes out. You don't put the shoes in the back of the closet because they're really comfortable and the hole might be smaller the next time you look at them. Because if you do that, you'll find that the cats have peed on them.Then you have to throw out your shoes AND clean the carpet.

It's been a really, really good Father's Day weekend so far. I was working out of town and came home Thursday afternoon after a short time way with lots of work (I was gone 70 hours, I worked 30 hours, and I drove 9 hours. You do the math) Buffalo Twin Mom surprised me when I got home with an early FD gift - a triptych of the boys holding the letters "DAD". It was as awesome as it sounds.

Friday, I passed a certification test (with flying colors, no less!) that I'd been stressing about (most people take 2 to 6 months to study. I took about 10 days). Then R crawled. Then M, not to be shown up, crawled too. It's still "army crawling", but there's forward motion. Time to baby guard EVERYTHING!

The boys are really into touching faces now, grabbing eyes and hair and glasses. This morning, they were grinning happily at each other and patting each others' faces. Seriously adorable. Went to the farmers market with the family; came home, went to gym class, went on some errands...Put boys to bed; I fixed dinner AND  did carpentry at the same time. Seriously. Like "put the pork on the contact grill, set the timer for 15 minutes, go attach the rails to each side of the box, come back in, put on some barbecue sauce, run out, make some measurements." High point was when I decided to call it a day, put everything away, and walked back in to hear the "ding" of the timer finishing.

So now it's 11:30, and the house is asleep, but for me. I've got two amazing little guys upstairs, happily snoozing away. Mrs. is upstairs, probably asleep too. Love them all so much. I've got an amazing family. I'm so very, very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment