Wednesday, October 12, 2011

One Week

The twins are one week old today. At this point, age is a weird thing. When you're, say, fourteen years old, that's it - you're fourteen. When you're a preemie, though, it's more complicated. The twins were born at 30 weeks, 4 days, but for developmental purposes, they drop the 4 days and use the "gestational age" to track development. So the boys are now "at 31 weeks gestational age"; a full-term mom would be looking at about 2 more months of pregnancy. We could be looking at 2 more months of NICU care.

I am - frankly - terrified of the coming NICU bills. I mean, I'm insured (thank goodness), but -- let's just say -- 2 babies x $7,000/day x 60 days = $840,000. I kinda pulled the monetary estimates out of my butt, but I have no idea. Hoping that my wife's insurance will cover this; it might be worth extending COBRA for her by a month or 2, just for the additional "insurance bandwidth", so to speak.

Of course, the money concern is real, but it still takes a backseat to the joy of babies. Held Baby A last night during Kangaroo Care; he made little fists and pulled at my chest hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment